The Gateway to Computer Science Excellence
First time here? Checkout the FAQ!
x
+8 votes
2.5k views

Ananth takes $6$ hours and Bharath takes $4$ hours to read a book. Both started reading copies of the book at the same time. After how many hours is the number of pages to be read by Ananth, twice that to be read by Bharath? Assume Ananth and Bharath read all the pages with constant pace.

  1. $1$
  2. $2$ 
  3. $3$ 
  4. $4$
in Numerical Ability by Boss (29.7k points)
retagged by | 2.5k views
+1
Not getting answer bro,

here what I got

(I'm writing % of book read by both per hour)

A (6 hrs) : 16%  33%  50%  66%  83%  100%

B (4 hrs):  25%  50%  75%  100%  __    __
0
Hello smartmeet

You just got it , just you was not conscious.

See after 3rd hour Your A is done with half of the book(50% done naa)

and B is done with 3/4 of the book (75% done) so

A is left with 1/2 of the pages while B is left with 1/4 of the pages.See $\frac{1}{2}$ is double of $\frac{1}{4}$

4 Answers

+8 votes
Best answer
Assume the book is of $240$ pages.

Ananth reads $40$ pages per hour and Bharath reads $60$ pages per hour.

Number of pages Ananth will complete at the end of each hour $- 40, 80, 120, 160, 200, 240.$

Number of pages Bharath will complete at the end of each hour $- 60, 120, 180, 240.$

At the end of $3^{rd}$ hour, Bharath is left with $60$ pages and Ananth is left with $120$ pages.

So, $3$ is the answer.

Correct Answer: $C$
by (183 points)
edited by
+1

So, here to be read by means after 3 hour how many time is requred, right?

0
I think this is the critical reasoning.
0
we should focus on """""to be read """"""
0
I don't want to assume. How should I do?
+3 votes
After 3 hrs,

Ananth reads 3/6 of the book = 50% of the book --> Ananth is yet to read remaining 50% of the book.

Bharath reads 3/4 of the book = 75% of the book --> Bharath is yet to read remaining 25% of the book.

So after 3 hrs, Ananth has to read twice of what Bharath needs to read to complete the book.
by Active (2k points)
+1 vote

Let there be $24$(LCM(6,4)) pages in the book.

Ananth takes $6$ hours to read $24$ pages  $\Rightarrow$ Ananth takes $1$ hour to read $4$ pages.i.e. $20$ pages still left to read

Bharath takes $4$ hours to read $24$ pages $\Rightarrow$ Bharath takes $1$ hour to read $6$ pages i.e.$18$ pages still left to read


After how many hours number of pages to be read by Ananth, twice that to be read by Bharath.

Option $A.$ $1$ hour

It is not the answer since $20 \neq 2*18$


Option $B.$ $2$ hour

In $2$ hour Ananth will read $8$ page so $16$ pages will be left

In $2$ hours Bharath will read $12$ pages and $12$ pages will be left.

$\because$ $16 \neq 2*12$

$\therefore$ Option $B$ is not the answer


Option $C.$ $3$ hour

In $3$ hours Ananth will read $12$ page so $12$ pages will be left

In $3$ hours Bharath will read $18$ pages and $6$ pages will be left.

$\because$ $12 =2*6$

$\therefore$ Option $C$ is the correct answer


$\therefore$ Option $C.$ $3$ is the correct answer

by Boss (19k points)
–1 vote
A-6hrs

B-4 hrs

so ration is 3:2

so 1.5:1(15*2:1*2)

so 3 is the answer
by Active (1.3k points)
Answer:

Related questions

Quick search syntax
tags tag:apple
author user:martin
title title:apple
content content:apple
exclude -tag:apple
force match +apple
views views:100
score score:10
answers answers:2
is accepted isaccepted:true
is closed isclosed:true
50,288 questions
55,719 answers
192,113 comments
90,125 users