Firstly, there was an online written test on 11th May 2021. The test was in 2 parts:
In 1st part, there were 30 MCQ questions each with 1 mark and a penalty of -1 for each incorrect answer. The MCQs were of mostly GATE level. The majority of topics covered were DSA, Discrete Maths, Probability. Few questions were form CO, OS, CN and TOC (1-2 questions each).
Part 2: (Not used for evaluation and shortlisting, only for interview purpose)
Three subjective questions were there:
1) Let us assume, you are the head of Google and decide to build the next version of Google Meet. What features will you use/improve? How can you leverage skills from 3-4 CS subjects to improve the product?
2) There are 100 rooms in a hotel. The hotel manager is lazy. When a customer requests a room, the manager picks a room from 1 to 100 uniformly at random without even bothering to check whether it is already occupied. If the room is already occupied, the customer is asked to leave the hotel. Otherwise, they can check-in. Suppose that 100 customers try to check in, one by one, to the hotel. Show that the expected number of occupants is at least 50.
I was shortlisted for the interviews. My slot was on 14th May 2021, at 10:30 am.
There were 3-panel members. But only two of them asked questions. I will address them as I1 and I2.
So the interview goes like this:
I1: Please give a brief introduction about yourself.
I1: From which subjects you want us to ask questions?
Me: Linear Algebra, Probability, Data Structures.
I2: Ok Subham, let's start with the basics. What is eigenvalues and eigenvectors?
Me: Told with geometric intuition.
I2: Ok. Suppose you are given a diagonal matrix, what can you tell about the eigenvalues?
Me: The diagonal elements are the eigenvalues of the matrix.
I2: Prove it.
Me: Told an intuitive proof by the concept that the determinant of the matrix = product of eigenvalues.
I2: Ok. Now, lets move to probability. What are disjoint events?
I2: Let's suppose you are given a probability of two events A and B. P(A) = 0.9 and P(B) = 0.9. Can you say that these events are disjoint events?
Me: Couldn’t answer. [The easiest question of the whole interview :) ]. Due to panic, I couldn’t answer.
I2: Ok. Let's now move back to Linear Algebra. Suppose you are given 3 vectors of 2 dimensions. Is it possible that they are linearly independent?
Me: Explained with the rank concept.
I2: Referring to I1, would you like to ask any questions?
I1: Ya sure. So Subham, given a Binary tree, how can you find the height of the tree?
Me: Explained with recursion.
I1: What is the time complexity?
I1: Ok we are done. You can leave the meeting.
Me: Thank you, sir.
They asked subjective test questions from some students. But they didn’t asked me.
VERDICT : SELECTED
Tips for future aspirants:
- Don’t panic, they will give you enough time to think, just think freely.
- Be sure you are good with each and every aspect of the subjects you are mentioning.
- For written tests, keep in touch and keep revising your GATE subjects after the GATE exam also.
BEST OF LUCK…