General searchingIf you need to refine and narrow your search, here are some basic tips:
To search within specific tags, prefix them with tag: followed by the tag. As tag can contain special characters you can surround them with quotes. Example:
- sorting tag:difficult searches for mentions of sorting within the difficult tag.
- automata tag:"gate2020-cse" searches for mentions of automata within the gate2020-cse tag.
To limit your search to just the title of a question, use title: followed by the search term. Likewise, search the content only (excluding the title) with content: followed by the search term. Examples:
- apple searches for mentions of apple in the title of questions or content of posts.
- title:apple searches for mentions of apple only in the title of questions.
- content:apple searches for mentions of apple only in the content of posts.
To search for questions and answers for a given user you can prefix the username (which is usually used as the login id) with user:. Note as usernames can contain special characters you can use quotes to cover the whole username. Examples:
- user:martin searches for questions and answers created by user martin.
- user:"martin smith" searches for questions and answers created by user martin smith.
To exclude results from a tag or word, prefix it with - in your query. Examples:
- apple -tag:green finds posts that mention apple and are not in questions tagged as green.
- -apple tag:green finds posts in questions that are tagged as green and do not contain the word apple.
Adding multiple usernames, tags or words with no prefix to a search means that at least one of them must match. In order to force the matching of more than one word then prefix that word with a +. Note in the case of usernames it is possible to add more than one but the + has no effect. Bear in mind that searching using only negative terms yield no result. Examples:
- green apple finds posts that mention either green or apple.
- +green +apple finds posts that mention both: green and apple.
- user:martin user:peter +tag:fruit +tag:round finds posts from user peter or martin that are tagged with fruit and round.
- -tag:fruit finds no posts because it is a fully negative search; something needs to be matched in order to be substracted from it.
Additional question filtersHere are some additional search filters that can be applied to the questions matching a search. Note they can not be used in its own.
To search for posts in questions that have received at least a certain amount of views you can include views: followed by the expected minimum amount of views. Example:
- apple views:100 searches for posts that mention apple in questions with at least 100 views.
To search for posts in questions with at least a certain score you can include score: followed by the expected minimum score. Example:
- apple score:10 searches for posts that mention apple in questions with a score of 10 or higher.
To search for posts in questions with at least a certain amount of answers you can include answers: followed by the expected minimum amount of answers. Example:
- apple answers:2 searches for posts that mention apple in questions that contain at least 2 answers.
To search for posts in questions that have an accepted answer (or not) you can include isaccepted: followed by true or false. Example:
- apple isaccepted:true searches for posts that mention apple in questions with an accepted answer.
To search for posts in questions that have been closed (or not) you can include isclosed: followed by true or false. Example:
- apple isclosed:true searches for posts that mention apple in questions that have been closed.
- All categories
- General Aptitude (2.1k)
- Engineering Mathematics (8.5k)
- Digital Logic (3.1k)
- Programming and DS (5.1k)
- Algorithms (4.5k)
- Theory of Computation (6.4k)
- Compiler Design (2.2k)
- Databases (4.3k)
- CO and Architecture (3.5k)
- Computer Networks (4.4k)
- Non GATE (1.2k)
- Others (1.7k)
- Admissions (596)
- Exam Queries (842)
- Tier 1 Placement Questions (17)
- Job Queries (71)
- Projects (19)
- Unknown Category (1.2k)